8:52 PM

Polite Rebellion

Posted by Student/Teacher |

"Hurray!

Yes We Can!"
went the crowds where I stood
"Keep it down"
said the cop
As if doing us a favor in not calling some higher authority
and reporting our unruly celebration
"Keep it down"
Not five minutes into one of my most deeply manifested smiles
I hear this warning
From this 
old
male
white
cop
with a belly
and chew
How I wish he had not been
the stereotypical image that I might have imagined
but he was 
and there he stood, his ground
but it was mine too
I too, stand here
and I won't keep me down
Hurray!
I sing
In polite rebellion

"As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, "We are not enemies, but friends... though passion may have strained it must not break our bonds of affection." And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn - I may not have won your vote, but I hear your voices, I need your help, and I will be your President too."
-President-Elect Barack Obama

0 comments: